top of page
  • Writer's pictureRuth-Ann E. Toups

Your High School Graduate Needs a Power of Attorney

You cheered for them as the crossed the stage; you watched as they tossed their cap in the air with their classmates; and now, you are helping them prepare for the big move to campus in the fall. You might just be forgetting one of the most important things—your child’s power of attorney.

Eighteen is a big milestone for both children and parents. One reason is that at eighteen the law sees your child as an adult, even if you don’t. From the day your child turns eighteen your ability to help them dramatically decreases. Calling to make a doctor’s appointment? Not going to happen. Calling the college for financial information? Not going to happen. Many parents are still helping their child as they transition into adulthood, particularly when the child is still spending most of their day in school and at extracurricular activities. A power of attorney can help you help your child.

A power of attorney, executed by your child, can name you as their agent. This means you can continue to handle matters on their behalf with their permission. Additionally, having a power of attorney in place could be crucial if your child is ever in an accident and is disabled. You will be able to pick up where they left off. Although the law sees us as adults at eighteen, we often still need the help of our parents.

Do you need help putting a power of attorney in place? Call the Toups Law Firm, PLLC today at (832) 761-5107.

16 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page